LIAWA Awards of Excellence 2021
ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL FRIDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2021
LIAWA AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE 2021
The LIAWA Awards for Excellence represent the premier industry awards for landscaping in Western Australia. Winners will be announced at a not-to-be-missed cocktail evening on 20th February 2021, bringing together the best of the landscaping industry of WA.
Submissions for the 2021 Awards are now open.
CATEGORY 01 - CONTRACTOR RESIDENTIAL
Projects that show an innovative use of materials, products and plants achieved with a creative and effective use of the budget whilst meeting the client’s brief. Projects are to demonstrate waterwise garden design principles and irrigation standards, appropriate use of hard and soft landscaping and show an effective use of functional space.
- Design and Construct (up to $30,000)
- Design and Construct (up to $75,000)
- Design and Construct (up to $150,000)
- Design and Construct (over $150,000)
CATEGORY 02 – CONTRACTOR COMMERCIAL/CIVIC
Projects that show an innovative use of materials, products and plants achieved with a creative and effective use of the budget whilst meeting the client’s brief. Projects are to demonstrate waterwise garden design principles and irrigation standards, appropriate use of hard and soft landscaping, finishing detail with a degree of technical difficulty and innovative construction techniques.
- Design and Construct (up to $250,000)
- Design and Construct ($250,000 to $500,000)
- Design and Construct ($500,000 to $1m)
- Design and Construct (over $1m)
CATEGORY 03 – MAINTENANCE
For landscapes that have been maintained for 12 months or more. Projects will demonstrate the long-term health of the plant material used, the degree of technical difficulty, innovations in maintenance management, and adherence to maintenance plan/schedule.
- Contractor Residential
- Contractor Commercial/Civil
CATEGORY 04 – SPECIAL AWARDS
BEST ARTISTIC FEATURE
Entrants can submit a joint entry by designer and main contractor. One of the parties MUST be a member of LIAWA.
Projects can include garden art, sculptures, screens, and anything else of similar nature/function. Projects will demonstrate innovation in design, quality of materials used, quality of construction and finishing detail, a degree of technical difficulty and an innovative use of materials and construction techniques. Client satisfaction and value for money should also be shown.
INDUSTRY PRODUCT OF THE YEAR
This category is open to LIAWA members in the business of supplying services, materials and/or products to the landscaping industry in Western Australia.
BEST PROJECT HOME DISPLAY
Projects are to show an innovative use of materials, products and plants achieved with a creative and effective use of the project budget. Projects are to demonstrate waterwise garden design principles and irrigation standards, appropriate use of hard and soft landscaping and show an effective use of functional space.
CATEGORY 05 – Landscape of The Year 2021
Landscape Of The Year 2021 will be presented to an entrant who has successfully won an award from either Category 01, 02 or 03. This major, overall award will be based on the utilisation of space within the landscape, innovative use of materials and the overarching concept of achieving a landscape with clearly designed sustainable outcomes.
TIPS FOR PREPARING YOUR SUBMISSION
Note that the preparation and upload of content will take some time so you should plan to submit entries well before the deadline.
Read the application/entry information carefully to ensure that you have entered your project/s in the most appropriate category. Some projects may be suitable for entry into more than one category.
Use a professional photographer to document your projects. The early stages of judging are based on visual criteria, so give your project the best possible chance of getting through the judging processes by submitting high quality images. Use images that best suit the category you have chosen to enter. Select images that illustrate what you have said about your project in the written statement.
Provide images that are indicative of the project in its entirety, and that tell the project’s story in a logical way. Images that focus on small details tend to be of limited use to the judges.
Avoid submitting photo-shopped images. Judges can tell, and often respond negatively to images that have been enhanced.
The written submissions are very important and are read carefully by the judges. Ensure that you:
- Respond to the criteria succinctly and with relevant, factual information. Point form is fine. Avoid repetition
- Use the written submission component to explore aspects of the projects that the jury can’t discern from the images
- Complete your written criteria in a word document and then cut and paste your responses into the relevant parts of the online submission form. This will mean that you have a back-up
- Use standard title and sentence casing throughout your submission, as some of the submitted data will published as is.
- Entries must be submitted online via the LIAWA website www.landscaping.net.au
- Entries will be accepted for judging from full members of Landscape Industries Association of WA Inc. (LIAWA) only
- Entries will only be accepted after payment, which will be refunded in full should the event be cancelled due to COVID-19
- Completed entries must be received by no later than 5pm on Friday 5th February 2021
- Entry fee must be paid when entry is submitted
- Entries received on or before 5pm on Friday 22nd January 2021 will be entitled to an earlybird rate of $195/entry (incl GST). Entries received after this date will be required to pay $225/entry (incl GST)
- Late entries or late payment of fees will not be accepted under any circumstance and will not be judged
- Limit of three (3) entries per category (including joint entries) per member
- Larger projects may be split into phases and/or components to allow entry into a range of categories. For example, a project can be entered in multiple categories, such as Design and Construction, Artistic Feature or Maintenance (if relevant)
- All entrants for Categories 1 – 4 must be members of LIAWA, and in the case of joint submissions, the Contractor must be a LIAWA Member if the designer is not a member
- Site visits by judges will be limited to within a 75km radius of the Perth CBD. All entries that fall outside of this area (including interstate and overseas projects) will need to submit photographs and/or video for the judging panel. This excludes entries being judged under the category of ‘Industry Product Of The Year’ where a report or brochure (or photographs or video) can be submitted for judging
- Projects must not have been entered in any previous LIAWA Awards of Excellence of similar category (with the exception of Maintenance categories or Product Of The Year). Any projects that have won under a Maintenance category previously, may be re-entered as long as a minimum two years have passed
- The Organiser reserves the right to cancel a category if insufficient entries are received. Entrants of that category will be offered the option to (where appropriate) enter an alternative category receiving a full refund
- If judging results in tied scores, then joint winners could be awarded
- Winners of Categories 01, 02 and 03 shall be eligible for ‘LIAWA Landscape of The Year’
- Any conflict of interest shall be declared between conveners, entrants, judges, committee or LIAWA Board Members
- Each project entered MUST comply with Australian Standards, relevant building codes and council guidelines
- All entries must include a signed Owners Consent to be eligible for judging
- Unclear or incomplete entries will not be accepted and will be considered ineligible for judging
- An accurate description of an entrant or contractor’s involvement in the project is to be included in each submission
- All decisions made by the judging panel will be deemed final
For all enquiries please contact Matthew Lunn at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0410 714207 to discuss.
By entering these Awards, the applicant confirms that they have obtained their client’s written approval to enter and for any resultant publicity. In the case of residential projects in particular, the client’s name and the project address will not be published. Specific information about project budget is not released for publication.
The Organiser does not make any claims on copyright or intellectual property of the designs entered other than the rights outlined in the following paragraph. By entering this program, the applicant agrees to absolve the Organiser from any liability relating to confidentiality or intellectual property issues that may be raised by any party.
The Organiser reserves the right to exhibit or publish any or all of the entries. By entering the Awards the applicant/owner gives permission to the Organiser to publish, exhibit and promote the content of the submission (except for the exclusions outlined under “Publicity and Copyright”), including by sponsors of the Awards, where their use of submission content is specifically related to their promotion of their involvement in the Awards.
In all promotion, the Organiser will endeavour to promote the name of the design firm/s and, where the Organiser is made aware of their names and to the extent that the Organiser can exert editorial control, photographers will be acknowledged.
All finalists must be prepared to submit further material for exhibition and publication if required, such as additional photography, drawings and other information. The applicant acknowledges that the Organiser has the right to reproduce materials in whole or part without payment of release or licensing fees to the holder of publication rights or copyright.
Entry submissions are accepted until 5pm on Friday 5th February 2021. Requests to withdraw an entry will be accepted if made in writing to email@example.com prior to the submission deadline of 5th February 2021, with refund of the entry fee less an administration charge of $50. After this date, projects may not be withdrawn.
Judging will commence on Tuesday 9th February 2021. The shortlist for the LIAWA Awards Of Excellence 2021 will be announced on Thursday 11th February in Landscape Weekly. Entrants will also receive email notification. Awards will be presented during the Awards evening on 20th February 2021 at the WA Maritime Museum.
MAKING YOUR SUBMISSION
Each submission must include an Owner Consent Form. Please download the form and have it completed and signed by the owner of the project, in preparation to upload with your award submission.
01 - CHOOSE AWARD CATEGORY
There are 14 categories, which attract entry fees. Projects may be entered into more than one category and each entry requires a separate submission and fee.
02 - PREPARE ENTRY SUBMISSION
Before beginning your entry submission, carefully read the Entry Criteria (see above – Tips for Preparing Your Submission).
Submitting an entry means that you have read and agreed to all the conditions, including obtaining appropriate releases in writing from your client and photographer.
You will be prompted to respond to specific written criteria and will be required to upload supporting materials to our secure platform.
- – completed and signed by the owner of the project.
- Submission Images – You must submit 6 to 10 images (not visualisations) of your project in high resolution format. Use the highest JPG quality setting available. Submit images that are at least 3500 pixels wide, with a file size no larger than 20MB. Images of at least 4500 pixels wide are preferred and will enable a higher quality print coverage.
The photographers name and email address must be supplied to credit each image.
To maintain anonymity during judging, no entrant names may appear on images, landscape plans or written support materials.
- For Project Submissions – you should also submit up to 5 relevant drawings in PDF format (site plan 1:100 scale and any other relevant drawings, model or concept diagrams), with a file size no larger than 10MB.
- Industry Product of the Year Submissions – you may submit brochures, marketing statistics or shop drawings with a file size no larger than 10MB.
- Client Brief (max. 100 words).
- Project Description (max. 1000 words).
- Credit Card details to process your payment.
03 – ENTRY SUBMISSION AND PAYMENT
Once you have completed steps 1 & 2, you may submit your project and pay by 5pm Friday 5th February 2021.
Entries received on or before 5pm on Friday 22nd January 2021 will be entitled to an Early Bird discounted rate of $195/entry (incl GST).
Entries received after this date will be required to pay $225/entry (incl GST).
Late entries or late payment of fees will not be accepted under any circumstance and will result in your entry not being judged.